Saturday, July 31, 2010

Off my hiatus

Back to writing. Fiction workshop 3 here I come.

I've procrastinated revisions for "I'd Rather Eat Worms" due to reasons of laziness and possibly writers block. Most likely laziness.

I got the classes I wanted for the fall...or rather the classes I'm being required to take (ahem biology and poetry workshop 2). Poetry isn't...doesn't...shouldn't HAVE to mean something to other people. Isn't it enough that it means something to ME? Obviously not. What makes a poet famous? Why Stevens? Why Bishop? Why Plath? What makes THOSE poets better than all the other poets? And why does there seem to be an unwritten rule that a poet can't be famous until his/her death? Maybe I don't like poetry because I don't want to write for the masses. I CARE that some people dislike a poem based on their lack of understanding of its meaning. Whose fault is it if the reader does not understand? Is it the poet's? Or is it the reader whose limited emotional capacity may not be sophisticated or ecperienced enough to decipher the message. Futhermore, perhaps the poet's intention is misunderstood which is worse than the reader not knowing at all. Why should I be graded on something beyong my control? Should I simply ryme or write a poem, lines of hints, explanations, directions of how to read the poem?

No comments:

Post a Comment